premiere of Simons' composition. June 7, 2009 with Gamelan Son of Lion and Tjokorda Gde Arsa Artha
Interactive Music Festival at Coney Island, Make Music NY. June 21, 2009. Excerpts from the event on the Boardwalk, with performances by Joshua Fried, Zemi 17 robot Gamelatron, Dafna Naphtali, John Morton, David Simons, Jane Rigler, and the Music Cre8tor.
Theremin at Coney
a short YouTube video of David Simons performing theremin at the Interactive Music Festival 2009 FLASH video of same, with background
Gamelan Son of Lion Angklung Trio
performance at WORLD FELLOWSHIP, NH Aug 2008
Film Clip from Ultimate Symbol
trailer of amazing animated graphics by Mies Hora from his book Design Elements 5, with music by David Simons
video by Lisa Karrer documenting a workshop in 2005
with Ken Butler, David Simons, and Lisa Karrer at Avampato Discovery Museum in Charleston, West Virginia. Additional soundtrack by David Simons.
Schismism: Natural Law Performance excerpts from Karrer's multi-media piece, based on the life of Charles Darwin. In-progress premiere at The Living Theatre, October 2008, in collaboration with composer-musician David Simons.
Performers/composers: Lisa Karrer and David Simons
House construction by Jackie Shatz. Videos by Lisa Karrer
Video by Lisa Karrer from her show about Charles Darwin, Schismism: Natural Law Premiered at the Living Theater, Oct 2008.
Instrumental music by David Simons, voice by Lisa Karrer
PUHAMU (Sanctuary) excerpt Created by Lisa Karrer - composer/director/vocal soloist. Premiered September 1997 in St. Nicholas Church, Tallinn Estonia. Funded by ArtsLink and produced by Madis Kolk and Eesti Kontsert.
Puhamu was a large-scale multi-media collaboration featuring the Helmekaala Seto Choir, photographer Peeter Laurits, composer/musician David Simons, Tunnetusuksus jazz ensemble, choreographer Marika Blossfeldt and members of the Eesti TV Children's Choir. A word about the Seto
America The Beautiful This film by Lisa Karrer shows the beauty and immensity of America as seen from a road-trip. A layered vocalscape of drones and national songs serve as the auditory underpinning. World-changing events run parallel with the beauty of these familiar landscapes, creating an inevitable schism that transforms the ways we live, travel and perceive life around us in the U.S.A.
Ziarah Dalam Gereja Gunung
Video, soundscape, music and vocals by Lisa Karrer
Indonesian Batak text by Sitor Situmorang (composed in memoriam for Deena Burton) copyright October 2008
Video and vocal soundscape by Lisa Karrer, with text by Mark Simons, narration by David Simons An electronic soundscape and video study of Frank Gehry architecture, juxtaposed with human figures. copyright 2007
Other music you can hear as mp3 :
This text will be replaced by the flash music player.
* Cremation Music
by David Simons (1994), as recorded by Music for Homemade Instruments on the CD "Pick of the Litter"
* Four Kotekan by D.Simons (1994) for bamboo instruments performed by Simons and Karrer, from the CD "Prismatic Hearing" on Tzadik
* Naked We Stand by D.Simons (1986), from the 2008 Gamelan Son of Lion double CD "SONOGRAM" on Innova
* ODENTITY by D.Simons (2001-06), from the 2009 CD "FUNG SHA NOON" on Tzadik
* Music for Theremin and Gamelan by D.Simons (1998-99), excerpt of solo section, from the CD FUNG SHA NOON
* God of Mud music by D.Simons (1994-95), words by Simons and Karrer from their opera "The Birth of George" CD on Tellus
* Dance of the Skin Splotches music by D.Simons, from the Simons/Karrer opera "The Birth of George"
* Pygmy Dream music by Simons, text by Fly, excerpt from the 1992 God is My CoPilot CD "How To Be"
* Aria 3 (1995) music by Simons for the play "Understanding Desire" by Anita Sieff. Vocals by Lisa Karrer
* Dematerialized (2001-2) excerpt from the CD "Prismatic Hearing" on Tzadik. A solo for Theremin as motion triggered sample player.
from Dreyfus School, Staten Island, led by D. Simons
* Cool it Wayang by D.Simons on the Gamelan Son of Lion CD "Bending the Gending"
* Theremin Ethers by Simons, from a live performance in Krems, Austria